Pay or dispute a ticket

If you get a ticket in the City of Waterloo, you can make a payment or request a screening review to dispute it. This includes:

  • parking tickets
  • bylaw tickets such as noise, licensing, lot maintenance, etc.

Pay ticket online

On this page

  1. Pay a ticket
  2. Dispute a ticket
  3. Request an extension
  4. Contact us

Pay a ticket

You can pay your ticket online:

  • we accept Visa and MasterCard (but not Visa Debit or Debit Mastercard)
  • wait 7 business days following the date of issue
  • unpaid tickets will incur late fees and may be subject to additional charges
  • if you can't find your ticket or have other questions, contact us

Pay in person, drop box, or mail

  • in-person, we accept cash, debit, cheque, money order or Visa/MasterCard at the municipal enforcement counter during business hours at city hall
  • you can drop off a cheque or money order (payable to the City of Waterloo) at the after-hours box located outside the William Street entrance to city hall
  • mail a cheque or money order (payable to the City of Waterloo) to:

Municipal Enforcement Services
City of Waterloo
100 Regina St. S.
PO Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, ON
N2J 4A8

Dispute a ticket

You can dispute your ticket within 30 days through a screening review.

Request a screening review

After your screening review, you will receive the decision in-person, by email or mail. There may be additional late fees if you don't pay within the timeframe provided on the back of the ticket.

Request a hearing review

If you are not satisfied with the screening review decision, you can request a hearing review. You must make this request within 30 days of your screening review decision. 

  • hearings may take place virtually or in-person, and are typically scheduled monthly
  • hearing officers are independent, third-party arbitrators
  • if you fail to appear, you will be charged a fee
  • hearing decisions are final

Request related documents

If you want access to city documents related to your ticket, complete a request for disclosure form at least 10 days before your hearing review date. 

Request an extension

Contact us to request an extension if you cannot pay or dispute your ticket within 30 days. We will only grant an extension if there are extenuating circumstances.

Contact us

Contact us at 519-747-8785, TTY (for deaf) 1-866-786-3941 or if you have any questions or need:

  • accessibility accommodations, like a sign language interpreter
  • translation support
  • help filling out request forms or don't have reliable access to a computer or the internet
  • financial support