Sewers and wastewater

Report a sewer blockage and what to do if pipes leading to your home need to be repaired. Additional info on rebates for properties that divert wastewater.

On this page

  1. Report a sewer blockage
  2. Clear a sewer blockage
  3. Repair a sewer lateral
  4. Learn about the sewer rebate program
  5. Apply to alter wastewater infrastructure

Report a sewer blockage

If you think there's a blockage in your sewer lateral (the underground pipe that connects your home to the main sewer line):

  1. Contact Ontario One Call at 1-800-400-2255 to request a sewer safety locate. There is no charge for this service.
  2. Once the pipe is located contact us at 519-886-2310 (business hours) or 519-579-9557 (after hours) and we will come to investigate the location and cause of the blockage. We use a CCTV camera to inspect the pipe.

If you hire a plumber or attempt to clear the blockage yourself before calling us you will be responsible for all resulting costs.

Clear a sewer blockage

After inspecting the blockage we will determine who is responsible for the cost of clearing a sewer blockage. Normal blockages on city property will be cleared without charge. Fees apply if the blockage is on private property or obviously caused by property owner neglect.

Repair a sewer lateral

If the property owner needs to complete repairs or replacements to the sewer lateral on private property, follow this process:

  1. Gather quotes for the repair from qualified plumbers and/or contractors.
  2. Review the location of the property line.
  3. Review the scope of repair with city staff. Repairs may also be required on city property or work may encroach onto city property.

Learn about the sewer rebate program

This program provides rebates on sanitary sewer charges for customers that do not discharge wastewater into the municipal system, such as a business that uses water in the production of a product. Industrial, commercial, institutional and high density residential properties are eligible. Water used towards lawn irrigation and swimming pools is not eligible. Follow this process to apply:

  1. Download the sewer rebate application form (PDF).
  2. Fill it out the form and have it certified by a licensed engineer.
  3. Submit by April 1 to receive a rebate for the previous year's sewer charges. Forms can be sent to:

Waterloo Service Centre
265 Lexington Court
P.O. Box 337, Station Waterloo
Waterloo, ON, N2J 4A8

Contact us at 519-886-2310 if you have questions about the program or application process.

Apply to alter wastewater infrastructure

View the water utilities alterations page to learn how to apply for changes.