Formal complaints

An ombudsman is an option to bring forward unresolved complaints when a city service hasn't been provided according to our policies, procedures or bylaws. The municipal Ombudsman is an impartial investigator who makes recommendations to improve public services.

Process for submitting a complaint

  1. Before escalating a complaint, contact staff or the department head in the area of concern. If you can't come to resolution, proceed with the process below.
  2. Fill out an online survey. We will review for further investigation. This should be completed prior to contacting the ombud's office (see below).
  3. Contact the Waterloo Area Municipal Ombud's Office.
  4. The ombudsman will independently receive, review and investigate complaints, and provide a report of its activities and investigations.

All complaints will be dealt with in a confidential manner according to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the act.